TripSafely.com is a user friendly online School Trip Management System that supports organisers of school trips to organise a school trip safely. The system provides guidance, templates, policies and procedures to organise trips ranging from a day trip to the theatre to an adventurous activity trip overseas.
The key features of the system include:-
- Trip templates i.e. request for permission, risk assessments.
- Trip Policies i.e. Health and Safety, Security.
- Trip Procedures i.e. Down time, personal time, medical.
- Trip Plans i.e. Emergency response plans, Special Care plans.
- Central repository for all trip data i.e. insurance documents
- Compliance with DCSF Guidance for trips in the UK
- Compliance with BS 8848 for adventurous activity trips overseas
- Accessible remotely i.e. via a PDA, internet
- Supports the Learning Outside The Classroom Manifesto
- Teacher profiles – i.e. qualifications, training, driving license, CRB records.
- Useful links i.e. DCSF, Overseas contacts.
- Ability to conduct an audit trail to assess the compliance of schools trips (Optional)
- Standardises and embeds ‘Best Practice’ within the management of school trips.
What is BS 8848?
BS 8848 is a British Standard that has been demand led to provide a specification for the provision of visits, fieldwork, expeditions and adventurous activities, outside the United Kingdom.
The British Standards Institution (BSI) surveyed parents across Britain and found that they had many concerns about their children participating in school trips abroad and that they wanted a national safety standard to be established. It found that:
- one in three parents don’t know who’s in charge when their children are away
- 82% think trips should comply with a safety standard.
This British Standard sets out requirements for the operational management, including safety, of all ventures outside the United Kingdom. The objective is to set out in clear, unambiguous language the actions and associated responsibilities essential to the provision of a risk-based safety management system for adventurous activities. In so doing it seeks to make available to those intending to provide such ventures a means of organising their activities in accordance with currently accepted good practice in a manner that makes it possible objectively to verify compliance
What are the requirements of BS 8848?
This British Standard specifies requirements for the provision of visits, fieldwork, expeditions and adventurous activities undertaken for educational, research, training or recreational purposes outside the United Kingdom.
It applies to ventures:
- where the hazards are such that without consideration by competent people the level of risk would be significant;
- at any location outside the United Kingdom including remote regions where climatic extremes, challenging terrain, health hazards or unfamiliar cultural experiences can be expected;
- organised for groups or individuals;
- that are planned, managed and evaluated from the UK by commercial companies, educational establishments, voluntary or charitable organisations and independent groups or individuals.
How does TripSafely.com support the requirements of BS 8848?
The TripSafely policies, procedures and templates cover the following requirements of BS 8848 for overseas trips:-
- Purpose, planning, permission, finance and integrity of
- the venture
- Participants’ Identification, selection and information
- Venture leader, leadership team and support team
- In-country representative and Home Agent
- Supervision and staffing ratios
- General/Direct & indirect supervision, Personal time and Down time
- Protection of participants under 18 years of age or a vulnerable adult allocation of roles and responsibilities
- Third-party providers
- Safety policy and risk analysis management system
- Legal Framework, contractual and insurance information
- Venture pre-booking information
- Training, induction and communication
- Joining instructions, during trip processes
- Travel, Accommodation, Environment and equipment
- Medical planning, Environment related illnesses, First Aid Kits
- Security, contingency planning
- Incident and emergency plan